The immediate impact and shock of a car accident can be overwhelming. As per Idaho Statutes section 49-1305, you are required to report the accident when there is death, injury, or significant property damage involved. You should also call 911 directly from the scene to get medical assistance. Informing your insurance company within a reasonable time is also highly recommended. Once you are feeling better, consider calling an Idaho car accident attorney. If you are unsure how to find the right one, here are seven basic tips to consider.
- Ask around. Talk to your friends and other people you know who have worked with accident attorneys in the past. References are always handy for sorting choices, especially if you are new in the state.
- Check online. Google remains your best resource to find local accident attorneys in your area. You can also check websites like Nolo and Avvo to find listings. The idea is to call at least a couple of attorneys or law firms to get a response.
- Don’t forget to ask for a meeting. Personal injury lawyers usually offer a free consultation for accident victims. This is a good way to know your attorney and discuss the facts of your case. The lawyer will also check the preliminary information to offer a realistic overview of the circumstances.
- Check for the experience. You wouldn’t go to a divorce lawyer to buy a new home. When it comes to auto accident cases, you should hire a lawyer who specializes in personal injury law and has worked on similar cases. Ensure that the lawyer has worked on cases similar to yours.
- Check reviews. If you want to compare your options, you can check for independent client reviews on Google and other listing websites. References from the respective lawyers are useful to an extent, but standard reviews are always more reliable.
- Comfort matters. Did you feel comfortable enough around the lawyer? Did the lawyer answer all your questions? Were they open to listening to smaller details? These are some questions that can help you sort the right options.
- Ask about the fee. If an attorney asks for a fee immediately to work on the accident case, it is a clear red flag. Personal injury lawyers typically charge a contingency fee, where they don’t get paid until you win a settlement.
Check online now to find a few top-rated law firms in your area in Idaho.